When you purchase a new car, you get a manual that outlines important features, general maintenance, and troubleshooting. When you buy a new camera, a new lawnmower, or even a new coffee maker, you are provided with a manual. But when you buy a home, new or "used," you get nothing but the key, a stack of paperwork, and 30 years of debt; and you are left to figure things out on your own.
Shouldn't your biggest investment come with a manual that instructs you on proper care and maintenance, warns you of pitfalls, and assists you in making informed decisions about repairs?
This book is exactly that - a manual for every homeowner. From A to Z, The Homeowner's Manual illustrates the basics of how a home operates and walks you through the various systems. From the basement to the roof, gain a commanding knowledge of everything from how long an appliance should last to when the roof should be replaced . . . and everything in between. Author Lynda Lyday, America's home improvement expert gives you peace of mind, knowing that you'll never be at a loss for information where your most-valued investment is concerned.
Covers such topics as:
- Protecting your basement against condensation and leaks.
- Cleaning and weatherproofing your deck or patio.
- Keeping your floors clean and attractive and preserving the integrity of your house's foundation.
- Maintaining the heating and air conditioning system and lowering your utility bills.
- Landscaping and caring for the grounds around your home.
- Extending the life of your roof and keeping your attic clean.
- Making your home safe with security and fire detection systems.
A house is one of those things in life that you wish came with an owner's manual. Things break, spring leaks, and sometimes just need to be properly maintained, but you usually have to consult a separate guide for each issue. Not any longer. The Homeowner's Manual will help you get acquainted with your home and assist you in making decisions regarding maintenance and repair. Illustrations and a knowledgeable author will not only cover the basics from A to Z, but will also provide you with safety tips on how to:
- Protect your home from severe weather damage
- What equipment to install for fire and carbon monoxide detection
- Drills to conduct with your family
An easy-to-follow seasonal checklist lays out to-do items so that you can stay on top of home maintenance even when you're at your busiest. From appliances to pools to landscaping to walls, The Homeowner's Manual covers it all!
About the Author
Lynda Lyday, a carpenter and professional contractor, currently hosts DIY Network's viewer call-in home repair show Talk2DIY. Previously she served as a host of HGTV's The Fix and the interior carpenter expert for Gimme Shelter on the Discovery Channel. Lynda has been a featured expert on Weekend Today, Living it Up! with Ali & Jack, CBS Marketwatch, CNN, and numerous other programs.